Join our Home Library Service, and discuss reading choices, favourite authors, favourite genre, interests and hobbies with our housebound customers. Help us select up to 12 books on their behalf, pack and label them ready for collection and/or delivery. Visit customers on a monthly basis to swap books and get new suggestions for reads. This can all be done out of your local libray.
1. Choose OR collect books and other items for Library at Home customers.
2. Deliver books and other items to the housebound.
3. Assist with stock maintenance and re-shelving books.
4. Report any concerns about Library at Home customers’ health, safety and wellbeing, to the Volunteer Manager/Supervisor.
5. Ensure that the customer’s profile is kept up to date by informing library staff of any relevant changes to their requirements.
6. Help with any consultation with this group of customers.
7. Promoting relevant library events and activities with the housebound.
Why get involved?
There are many in Oldham who are housebound and unable to visit the library on their own. They have no one available to collect books on their behalf. You can ensure that many elderly and isolated individuals in Oldham can still enjoy reading and interactions with the outside world. This is as much a befriending service as it is a delivery service, help share the joys of reading with others.
If you are interested in this challenge, you might also be interested in Reading Friends:
How to get involved?
Accept the challenge and a member of our volunteering team will be in touch. We will introduce you to prospective Home Library Customers, to ensure it is the right fit for both you and the person you are delivering to.
- Customer Service
- Community Work